This is the place to find out what new and exciting events are unfolding in the life and times of Je Kemp.

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Downtown Atlanta, What can I say?

I had lunch today at Reuben's Deli at 57 Broad Street downtown. I like what is going on down on Broad street, at least around lunchtime. It feels very urban to me. Too bad that feeing only persists on Broad Street proper...
Now, I will propose a question.

Why is there not a Dean & Deluca or something like it downtown?


I already know the answer to this question. I guess I ask it just for kicks. I am well aware of the constant influx of people moving here from New York City, Why don't these folks try to bring some of their urban culture with them instead of simply assimilating into the sprawl around us? I know the answer to this question as well, I don't know if I need to share it as it only reflects the stupidity and selfishness of Americans in general.

I feel sorry for people who have to live downtown without access to really any of the services needed to survive in an urban location. There are no real bakeries, no real bars, no places to buy groceries. That dinky Kroger next to Sylvias does not count!! Speaking of Kroger, they just remodeled the one near my house, lets see if they can keep it clean now..

Downtown Atlanta could be better compared to an overpriced theme park than a place to live and work. The city has done its part to attract conventioneers and tourists downtown with such interesting locales. Places like Centennial Olympic Park, CNN Center, Underground Atlanta, and the World of Coca Cola. They just need to go ahead and change the name to whatever corporation wants it. I imagine Coca Colapolis or Home Depopolis, either one will work great for the city that is too busy to hate. Plus think of all that extra revenue...


As far as people living downtown, who would want to buy a 300,000 dollar residence downtown if they had to go all the way up to Buckhead to shop?
Well, if I could afford to buy a 300k loftominium then I guess I could also gas up the H2 and get all my shopping done OTP like the rest of the herd.

No comments: